CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Bellydancing in Victoria BC


Early October 9th, Lisa Yasmeen and I boarded the Victoria Clipper and headed off for a long awaited weekend in BC with Bozenka and Nath Keo. We knew it was going to be a fabulous weekend, but we had yet to discover how truly amazing and inspiring it would be.


Friday was casual and welcoming... and invigorating. After checking into the Queen Victoria, Lisa and I met up with Nath, Yannick, and the fabulous Bozenka. Yannick had planned a bit of site seeing for us, and so we drove about the island, stopping at the Mount Douglas lookout to get a breathtaking view of the island. Next we were off, touring through the ritzy Oak Bay and Upland neighborhoods. And finally stopping by the University to visit the university bunnies... bunny farm or university? With all those silly wabbits, it was hard to tell! Later that evening we enjoyed some delicious food, drink, and dessert at Moxie's with a number of folks who would be participating in the weekend workshops and show. Lisa, Bozenka, and I were still super stuffed from fish and chips from Barb's Place down on the Fisherman's Wharf, so we split a salad three ways... and then all had room for our very own desserts!!! And thank goodness we had the smarts for that, because those desserts were amazing.


Saturday, Bozenka gave two great workshops on rhythms and combinations. I was saving energy for my performance that evening, and whatever else was to come that night, so I sat at the sidelines and took notes mostly. Sometimes I think it's better to sit out and take notes at workshops... then I have something to guide my memory when I try to recap everything I've learned. On the other hand, sitting on the sidelines, you miss out on working the new vocabulary into your own muscle memory.


Saturday evening's show was a dream come true. The McPhereson Theatre was GORGEOUS. Every aspect of the theatre seemed to be finished, polished, and in good care. It was a special experience and honor to be performing in the ornate neo-baroque style auditorium, all decked out in lush velvet seating and curtains. D-r-e-a-m-y. Thank you, Nath!


Sunday, Bozenka gave another fabulous workshop. I was enthralled with her warmups, teaching technique, and workshop content.


Bozenka is and has been among my top 5 favorite and inspirational contemporary performers... I don't know that I need to say much more about how incredible this weekend was and what it meant. Perhaps just this, that I came home feeling inspired in a way that I have not been in so long, and feeling positive about continuing to make this dance an important part of my life.










0 comments: